Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A whole new study

Plants was a topic I thought my students would have been interested in learning and studying. However as I came back from the Reggio workshop I was really inspired to take a further look at my students thoughts and understand what they were truly interested in. After a conversation from this morning I realized that the plant itself was not going to be the topic, but the question of "why do all the leaves keep coming off the plant, and what should we do to fix it?"

From this question I found that students were interested in building a sort of home for the plants, and said that they would be better off outside. We also explored the roots, and found that when you overwater plants they will not grow either. Student M said: "we need to build a house." Student N said, " we need to use plastic." From these thoughts it came to me that the study is moving toward working on a greenhouse and not just looking at plants and seeds themselves. I am excited to see where we go with the whole idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment